star wars: jabba's palace



picking myself up off of the floor after being asked to illustrate a jabba the hutt poster for mondotees' star wars series, i immediately popped return of the jedi in my dvd player and traveled back in time to 1983. i remember my parents informing me on a particularly warm saturday afternoon that, once yard chores were finished, we'd be going to the theater to see the final chapter of the star wars trilogy.

that saturday evening would stay with me the rest of my life.

the the scenes in jabba's palace perfectly encapsulate the dense, alien-rich texture of star wars that completely hooked me as a kid and continue to inspire my work today.

i remember sitting in the theater as a 9 year-old and being completely blown away by the sheer variety of spectacles in the palace; the jade-skinned slave girl, the tiny scavenger turned fan-boy, the worm-like translator, one of our heroes hung as a trophy, and, of course the bloated slug crime lord and his twisted pet.

i envision my poster as a family portrait of this collection of miscreants taken shortly before meeting their ultimate demise.

poster specs:
• 4 color screenprint on offwhite stock
• size: 26" x 17.5"
• limited edition of 260

sale info:
• date: fri, oct 22
• time: random (follow @MondoNews for a hint!)
• where: mondotees

2 Comments:

Blogger dylansdad said...

Nice job on this! I'm really glad that you were asked to be a part of this series--this will be the third piece of yours that I have purchased, and it's my favorite so far.

October 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Steve Thomas said...

Nice. And congrats. I was nine at that time too. I can remember listening to the Ewok song on the radio. I also remember hearing for the first time that Darth was Luke's dad. What?

October 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment